20081007

Make her a little nicer than she was before

So I've put about 400 miles on the bike since I got her. So far she's been running great, but there's just one nagging problem. I can't get her up over 85mph on the interstate. Yep, that means I'm the moving roadblock in the HOV lane. Going up hills or into a headwind, she's lucky to maintain 70mph. Now I know this bike isn't supposed to be a top end monster, but I don't even have any passing power on the freeway. Thus begins the process of tuning her up.

1) I bought new spark plugs today. I was only able to change out two of the four (each cylinder has two plugs). Two of them I simply couldn't reach with my standard spark plug sockets. I ordered the OEM spark plug tool.

2) While I was ordering the OEM spark plug tool, I ordered the uni pod foam filters. They replace the stock airbox and apparently open up the top end a good bit. From looking at the plugs, the engine is running pig rich, so a little more air coming in isn't going to push things into the lean zone.

3) I really need to sync the carbs. I messed around with it a little today, but I think I just made it worse. I need to get the right fittings to secure my vacuum gauge to the intake port. I just might make myself one of those homemade manometers if I can't get things tuned well from checking each side individually. Apparently the front & rear cylinders need to be within 40mm Hg of one another. Hopefully I can do better than that and she'll be running smooth as butter. Right now they're obviously not in sync. The front looks rich and the rear looks disgustingly rich. I don't think the rear cylinder's plug is even getting up to self cleaning temperature for the most part.

Anyhow, hopefully the stuff gets here by this weekend and I can hold 80mph up hills on the interstate.

No comments: