20090616

R.I.P. Incubus...

Back in college, some friends of mine and I ran across a band that was about to gain serious popularity. The Family Values CD had just been released and there was a band called Incubus that had a funky metallic groove. Albums like S.C.I.E.N.C.E. stayed in the whips for a while and we would see the band every time they came to town.

A few years back, Dirk Lance (bassist) left the band and they released A Crow Left of the Murder. They had already softened up a little on Morning View, but still had a good, funky groove. This album was way off though and started the demise of the sound that we'd grown to enjoy. I still gave the band a listen when they released an album, but never really got into it. We even went to see them a couple of times and were flat out dissapointed in the surf hippy, The Hills type shit that they were putting out.

Today they released another album, and even though I rarely listen to even the old stuff, I found myself previewing it on iTunes. I was not a bit surprised to find that it was sappy love songs and lacked any signs of the funky beats that had drawn us to them in the first place.

Goodbye Incubus.

No comments: