20100201

Motor tear down...

I started tearing the motor down this weekend.


If you've ever tried pulling the heads or jugs off of a Shovel, then you know that you should have torque adapters for that task of removing head bolts and base nuts. Since big bore jugs use 7/16" though, you have to not only have that size torque adapter for those, you have to grind off some of the material on it so that you can squeeze it into the tightest spots on the world around those 12 pt. head bolts. Those torque adapters and the Jim's valve spring removal tool are two things that make life SOOO much easier. If you've ever tried to pull of stiff ass Harley valve springs with a shitty universal remover, then you know. The Jim's tools are expensive as shit, but if you use them, then they are worth every penny.



Forged pistons and S&S rods in the 98"er too. The forged pistons threw me off with the plastic plugs instead of circlip style wristpin retainers. That and I had to look up the stamping...I'll look over them again, but I don't believe anything needs to be done to the cylinders here and it had good compression, so I think I'll reuse the rings. I will of course lap the gasket faces and clean it all up though. gaskets slid right off because there was oil in between all of them. I'll make sure that the oiling channels are good and may look into external oiling.

No comments: