20081124

More tranny building:

Okay, if you look in the picture of the two cases above, you can see that the black case has a roller bearing where the mainshaft comes out. The new case doesn't. There is a HUGE snap ring that holds that bearing in, so I had to call in some help on that one. I went to my buddy's machine shop (where the bike currently is) and luckily he had a set of snap ring pliers big enough. He used to work on Indy cars back in the 70's, so they used similar sized snap rings for the hubs.

Here are the pliers:


















Here is the big ass snap ring and the new bearing on the table behind it:


















If you notice, the snap ring is tapered around the edge. The tapered side has to go out for the ring to fit in the groove once you place the bearing in. I had to pull it and redo it because I screwed this up the first time.



Installing the bearing is pretty simple. Since it is only a slight interference fit, I just heated up the case a little with a propane torch and popped the bearing in the freezer for about 20 minutes. I set the bearing over the hole and with a very light tap from a brass hammer, it went right in. With the bearing set, I could replace the snap ring in the new case.



Before I did all of this though, I had to do a little work on the drill press. Since I am not running a starter, I enlisted the help of Irish Rich on a trick oil filter setup that will clean up the back side of the tranny, as well as place the filter in the place of the starter so that the ear on the tranny casing doesn't have to be machined off. Rich made the plate that holds the filter block and cleans everything up. I'll have to get some more pics of the block and backing plate later, but as for now you can see what needed to be done. On the right side of the starter ear, the plate slides over the dowel for the starter. I machined a little off of the edges and cleaned it up, then set it in place. Because there are no through holes and to make everything clean, I drilled holes through the casing so the filter block can be mounted through the left side of the starter ear and the covered up with the block off plate that Rich supplied.

Here it is before and after. As I said, the filter block is clocked, so you rotate its mounting position so the oil lines don't interfere with anything.

Before:














After:














I'll get up some more this week. I have to make a tool to set the main drive gear in the bearing.

No comments: