20081111

Tranny building...and a thanks to the Vets.

I started to get on here this morning and post a thanks to the veterans and those currently serving, but Rob beat me to it. I still want to say thanks, but I'll also post a little more.


Okay, I will start this out, and take pictures and do a commentary as I go along. I had an Ultima 6 speed for my build that I purchased with the original intent I had for the bike. At first I was going to go all black Evo, etc so I went with a black case when I purchased it. Seeing as how I completely changed my mind of what I wanted to build, I decided to change things up. I'll reveal more as I go along, but for now I will just start things off. Since I already had the Ultima, I thought it through, and instead of pulling the case and polishing it or buying a new tranny I decided to put the guts in a new case...with some other additions along the way. I called Jason Hallman to get a few parts and to talk to him about some of the Baker goods. Since he had been going around popping in the DD6s/OD6s/etc. for Baker at shows recently, I knew he had expertise on the matter. I told him if my intentions and he told me he would talk me through it over the phone. I have plenty of experience turning wrenches, but I have never taken apart one of these trannies. Any help was MUCH appreciated and I have a new friend from the experience.

First off, here are the guts after pulling them from the case. I would've taken pics of the teardown, but I didn't really think about it...I will start from the ground up. From left to right, you can see the clutch cover, main drive gear, shift forks and shafts (outer spacer in between), gearset still mounted to trapdoor (with allen bolts to the top left, and shift lever to the top right), shift drum and top cover.








Next is just a picture of the two cases. The one on the left is the new polished S&S case and the one on the right is the black Ultima case. From the looks of it, the only difference I notice in the cases is for the sensor, which is on the actual case itself on the S&S, but was on the trapdoor on the Ultima (even though the casting is there).














Next is the new case with a few parts already installed...these were the last things left on the case, so they are the first to be installed. Circled in green is the shifter pawl, which is mounted on a splined shaft that runs through the case (circled in red).












When installing the pawl, you have to press a new seal into the case, followed by a washer, all of which is held together with a black spring clip, which can be seen in the picture. Next to that, circled in blue, is the pawl adjuster. This consists of nothing more than a threaded shaft with an offset rod on the end to adjust the pawl's contact with the shift drum. Once it's screwed in, the threads that are still showing are locked down with a jam nut so that the pawl doesn't go out of adjustment every time you ride.

Okay, if you notice in the pic of the cases next to each other, there is a plug in a hole next to the big main gear hole on the black case. That is the plug that holds the needle bearing for the counter shaft in the gear set. The new case didn't come with that plug, so I went to get a new one from the Harley dealership (part #8977). After a post on the JJ and a short conversation with Irish Rich, I got it in.In this pic, you can see the plug lying face up and the hole it needs to be pressed into.














Now, with a bit of persuasion from a plastic dead blow and an oversized (1 1/4") socket, you can SQUARELY set it into place. It is a bit of a pain in the ass, but it eventually flushed with the case.












I know there are a lot of people who have already done this, but there are some that haven't I would personally rather know every in and out of what I am building and not just throw parts together, so I was all about tearing into this tranny and making my own little Frankenstein.

2 comments:

cyan said...

On my rss reader all I saw was the first couple of words in the title to this and I had to come read.

J-Rod said...

I can see now how it might look a little odd to an outsider...hahaha.