20090830

When thought isn't applied...

A couple of years ago, one of my old favorite comic book characters was written into one of the new age of Marvel films...Ghost Rider. I remember thinking it would be badass when they announced it and then thinking it was shit after I saw the trailer (and even more so when I saw the film). I just read on some website that they're planning on bringing this franchise back for a second film. Fine...you didn't see how shitty the first one went, but here's the thing that gets me:

I never questioned the story associated with Johnny Blaze or Ghost Rider, but it is what is known as a bit of a conundrum. Ghost Rider is an alleged antihero and is written as the result of a botched Faustian deal involving his mentor and the need for saving someone he loves (and, in a way reenacted in the second incarnation of Ghost Rider in the 1990's). The problem I have with this is that, historically, the ultimate sacrifice is to selflessly give one's own life/soul for the life of another. This is seen as the direct path to Heaven/higher level of transcendence, etc. by most religions. If that's the case then, wouldn't Johnny Blaze/Danny Ketch be more of a hero...a "soldier of God," if you will? Wouldn't that cancel out the evil or demonic essence of the character?

I've been drinking for a while, so this is just rambling bullshit, but it seemed like a bit of quandary to me after putting my weight in Belgian beer through my liver.

Congrats to OCC for getting to build another busted, piece of shit bike though. It had to be them who did the first one.

4 comments:

John Wayne and Jesus said...

Good to see that you're just drinking. I was going on with only a slight head tilt until I got to the Faust reference, whereupon I though to myself, "that boy is on drugs again!"

J-Rod said...

Yeah...those Belgians make a helluva beer.

Nick said...

I'm working on a front end similar to that one. I'm using rope instead of chain though.

Justin said...

More impressed that your grammar and spelling is basically intact while drinking and typing than anything else.