20110829

Good Beer Post...

One of my good friends came over on Friday night and we got into some of my stash. Since it's been a while since I've posted anything about good beer, I figured I needed to toss something up. I mean, we are the Beer Drinking Adventure Club and all...

First off, we cracked another one of Terrapin's Georgia Theater Double Feature brews. Now I did a write-up a while back about their Iron Tankard, which was another Double Feature and in the same light was brewed to help contribute to the rebuilding of the Georgia Theater. If you have no idea what that is, then I suggest you look it up because it's a landmark in music history and countless musicians have recorded very well-known live albums there.

This beer is a Belgian Style Dubbel Ale. In the same vein as any good Belgian, it has a sweet taste with just enough hops to counter balance the flavor. It's not bitter or too bold, but will knock you on your ass if you're not paying attention. As will 99% of Belgians, this isn't something that you could sit around and pound 12 of in a night, but the flavor makes it worth sitting down to a couple...and since it's high gravity, a couple will put you in a good place.



Next we cracked open a bottle of Stone 10.10.10 Vertical Epic. An ale brewed with different grapes to add a bit of a sweet flavor, but not in the way that you're thinking. As a matter of fact if I didn't know beforehand that it was brewed this way I would've just wondered why it had such a dry finish. Chalk that up to the fact that wine grapes, used in dry reds are used and it gives it a slight sweetness with that dry aftertaste. It was a good beer and I'll definitely get another bottle. It's definitely not sweet in the same vein as a Sweetwater Blue or Magic Hat #9, so it works for me.




I also went to see my dad up in Murphy this weekend. It had been a while since Big Pop had seen the grandkids, so we took them up for a couple of days. He knows how I am, so waiting for us when we got there was a couple of growlers of Bryson City Brown, brewed by Nantahala Brewing Company in Bryson City, NC. It's a decent flavored brown with strong nut flavor, but unfortunately they had lost a bit of carbonation in traffic, so they were a little flat. North Carolina is really coming up in the beer industry, especially Asheville. I need to go up and stay with Tom so I can tour the local breweries.

I also went to Taco Mac for dinner on Friday night and had a new beer that I'm going to be on the search for. Abita out of Louisiana has brought out a Honey Rye. Being a big fan of Rye beers and hoppyness, I was stoked to try it. It had a good flavor and wasn't too sweet. The hops really helped with that and even the old lady liked it.

1 comment:

KustomJeff said...

I LOVE good beers, and you are right about NC. I really like Highland Breweries Gaelic Ale and try to drink it when I find it. My newest favorite is Fat Tire. We can't get it in Alabama yet so every time I go to TN, GA, or NC I go ahead and stock up. We're getting some good beers here, but we don't get everything yet.