20090215

More tranny building...

A little kicker arm action.I had to press in a new main drive gear obviously, but since I don't have an arbor press here I took it to Frazier's Harley Davidson down the street from my house. I've got a few friends there, so they hook me up. After that, it was time to slide in the gearset...it will most likely need a little persuasion from a rubber mallet to slide over the dowels.
Bottom 4 bolts in...13 ft/lbs.Top 4 bolts...9 ft/lbs.Time to start putting in the forks.That's when I ran into a little problem. The 4th gear fork doesn't wanna go over the shaft...time to get a hold of Baker.I took the gearset back out to see if anything could be done about the fork...the shaft could be unscrewed from the trap door...that has to be the answer. If you look at the picture of the gearset bolted in, you can see that the trap door on the Frankentranny is a shitload wider than the standard Softail trap door (it needs to adapt a 4 speed clutch cover to a Softail case). Since that's the case, the shift rod over the countershaft isn't inserted from the front like a Softail...hence the problem with the 4th gear shift fork.

No comments: