20100708

More Good Beer...

The guys at Terrapin Brewing in Athens, GA never fail to please. Terrapin Rye Ale is my go to beer when most people are drinking Bud Light, PBR and the like and the timing on this brew couldn't have been better.

As I posted, two weekends ago I was in Helen, GA, an Alpine community located in the middle of the North Georgia mountains. They basically took a town in the middle of nowhere, on a river, and made it into a German village. Bratwurt, knockwurst, spaetzle, heffeweisen and Oktoberfest all available 45 minutes from home. We spent the weekend flogging our livers with German beer and clogging our guts with German food.

The next weekend I find this...Terrapin's 11th Side Project beer known as Boom Shakalager, a Bavarian Style Lager that rings true to it's name. Smooth and crisp with the signature Terrapin notes, but reminiscent of a good beer straight from Munich. I wish I would've had a stock pile of these while we were in Helen because I would've shared with the tatted-up German owner of Old Heidelberg who was so nice to us with the meters (I said meter, not yard) of ale over the weekend.

If you can find Terrapin brews, give them a shot. They're made locally here and I have yet to be disappointed by anything they come up with.


No comments: