20110315

All things considered...

Since I'm constantly monkeying with my Shovelhead (which is apart...again...long story), I work off of Peachtree Street in downtown a few days a month and I drive a huge 4wd Dodge that's about to have it's last payment made, I've considered buying another toy to keep myself with at least one running bike at all times and something I can easily park in a deck when I'm in the city. I'd considered getting another car or enlisting the '72 F100 for the city commute, but I don't think either of those seem like viable options. I just want another bike...and I want it to be FUN.

So, with that being said I've been giving a few some consideration.

First off, I all of the sudden have a desire to romp shit on a Ducati Hypermotard. I won't drone on about the varying models and their respective amenities, but I will say that these things look like a blast and sound like something you'd ride during a zombie apocalypse. Motard fun on the street with canyon carving ability? I watched a review video the other day and the guy who was testing the bike said in so many words, "When you buy one of these, ride it to the police station and just hand over your license." Yes, please.


I've been drooling/dreaming about the white with red combo Ducati 848 Evo for a while. A super bike with a color combo that stands out without being too overbearing combined with tried and true Italian racing heritage makes me antsy in my pantsy. The price tag is heftier than most other crotch rockets, but with that comes the a lot different bike than the others and instead of riding a hyped up, rev happy four cylinder you have a desmodromic valvetrain powered V-twin with enough torque to slaughter the competition. It's kind of like comparing a Ferrari to a souped-up Toyota MR2 (the 2nd generation, not the MR-S girl cars)...sure they're both mid-engine, well balanced and have the ability to be fast as shit, but come on...one's a Ferrari.


Finally there is one that should be considered, even though in its stock trim it seems like a hulking hunk of shit next to a Ducati; The Harley XR1200X. Harley stepped it up when they released the XR1200 and although I haven't ridden one, from the people I've spoken with who have the XR1200 is an absolute blast with plenty of power to motivate it's big carcass around. The style is a step in the right direction, but I'd have to strip it of about 200 lbs. of safety/EPA friendly garbage that Harley adds on before I'd call it my own. I'm all for buying American and I have an affinity to the Harley brand so this still hangs in there for my consideration and as long as I could envision something more menacing and less upright/monkey fucking a football looking, then it would continue to be a front-runner. Right now though the XR1200X is being overshadowed by the Hypermotard...I mean come on, one's a Ducati.

5 comments:

dillspaintworks said...

that hyper tard gives me boners ..get one and let me ride it

J-Rod said...

You gotta get a license first, boner tard.

Grease Monkey said...

find a good indy mechanic and get the ducati, fun as hell and expen$ive to fix.

dillspaintworks said...

ill wear my seat belt daddy

Beaner said...

DUC! DUC! DUC! Shit get a job in the land of the not quite right and you can ride that thing over here however the fuck you want without the Law Dawgs fucking with you. I seriously have stayed in this country for this long because of the lack of law enforcement on the roads comapred to the Fascist Swine of the US and A.