20101005

Almost 10 years ago...

My buddy Tom and I used to have Tacoma rockcrawlers. We would go all over GA/TN/NC to the trails and roll our big ass daily driven trucks over whatever sick terrain we could find. I found a bunch of the pictures from my build. I'll try and scan them in, but for now here is a picture of a couple of them. That's the front axle. We had cut the IFS off of the frame and mounted Dana 44 axles from Jeep Wagoneers under the trucks. This was mine...it had Chevy 3/4 rod ends with high steer(put the steering over the leaf springs and out of the way of rocks), Warn hubs, all new brakes, rotates knuckles (to turn up the angle on the pinion shift so it would bind less), 4.88:1 gears, an ARB air locker, and that Avalanche Engineering rock ring. We made the tie rod and drag link ourselves from DOM and threaded inserts. I spent the majority of time on this build redoing that whole axle. We found both of them at a junk yard in the woods somewhere below Newnan. I miss that truck sometimes. The feeling/fear of driving a truck like that down the interstate for the first time after building it is second only to running a freshly built bike down the interstate at speed.

No comments: